raker teeth in M or Great American?

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.
Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

raker teeth in M or Great American?

Post by Gavin Longrain » May 30th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Great American has raker teeth - correct?
M pattern does not have raker teeth - correct?

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Re: raker teeth in M or Great American?

Post by goodfeller » May 31st, 2012, 4:28 am

Great American do not have rakers. The two one man saws you posted pictures of on May 24 are Great American; I have heard them called M pattern, but they are Great American--at least on this side of the pond. Strange thing is that I think I have actually seen more non-US made saws with the Great American pattern than US made--mostly Peugeots--but that is not a scientific sampling by any means and it is highly dependent on my ever-declining memory.

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Post by trailcrew » June 1st, 2012, 2:01 am

I believe Great American pattern typically has three teeth in a set (or three points on a tooth depending how you look at it). The m-tooth pattern, like in Tuatahi m-tooth work saws, only has two points.
Josh

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » June 1st, 2012, 4:59 am

Trailcrew is right; Great American has 3 points, M has 2; I should have made that clearer; what I meant was that I have seen Great Americans incorrectly referred to or confused as Ms and vice versa. Sorry for any confusion. In any case, the two you have are Great American.

azmica saws
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON February 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Post by azmica saws » June 1st, 2012, 8:25 am

trailcrew and goodfeller (did your mother name you that?) have it right.

i would just like to add that the great american is most commonly referred to as the crown tooth. these are forgiving, smooth running saws by nature and also quite versatile - effective in both hard wood and soft stuff .... depending on how they are set up.

there are subtle differences in the way they function - the crown's teeth are set and beveled alternately - the center tooth acts like the regulator with the degree of bevel adjusted to regulate the feed.
with the "M" pattern's 2 point cutter set ... both points are beveled and set on the same side and direction .... this is alternated between cutter sets to give the necessary clearance .... the only regulation would also be the degree of bevel .... but this is somewhat less effective and the saws tend to be hungry by nature - i believe that the m tooth design was conceived in europe (germany or austria if i recall) and although offered by most saw makers they really never caught on in a big way here in the states ... however remained popular there and down under.
because of their natural appetite they dominated the competition circuit until fairly recently ..... and you will still see them in the competitions .... but now ...... the peg/rakers rule.

the vertical leading edges of both patterns .... although performing as cleaner teeth .... actually upset and dislodge the waste, much like a handsaw and although you won't get any macaroni .... they are quite efficient in this regard.

noting here that eddie fawcett's m pattern racing saws actually have a positive rake configuration .... on the lead edge. they're plenty quick ... but also require some big shoulders .... not something you'd want to run all day bucking big logs

all things considered - once set up, they are pretty easy to maintain and this is always a good thing in a work saw.

michael's ghost
Last edited by 2 on azmica saws, edited 0 times in total.

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » June 1st, 2012, 12:27 pm

Interesting. I have never heard them referred to as crown teeth but can see why. I wonder if that is a regional thing--east coast/west coast preferences--kind of like soda and pop but we probably don't want to go down that road. Anyway, couldn't agree more about the cutting ability of the "crowns" or whatever. I have a nice Peugeot two-man hanging in the shed that really does the job; I also like my one-man. And as you note they have the added advantage that they are easier to sharpen and maintain than some other patterns. Thanks for the "science" on how they cut. And mom didn't give me that name. She always wanted me to hang out with good church going folks. Name comes from the Scorcese mafia movie--not my felling abilities. Though I do frequently fall down but hopefully not on the job.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY