Homemade Dial Set Gauge

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Homemade Dial Set Gauge

Postby Jim_Thode » November 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm

I made a simple dial indicating tooth set gauge using a scrap of iron and a dial indicating gauge. It took about an hour and cost less then $10. I picked the dial gauge up on eBay and found the steel for the body in my scrap iron pile.

The hit and miss, go no go spiders have worked for a hundred years but there are some advantages to the dial gauge. Only takes one tool for setting compared to a hand full of spiders. The spiders don't work on very long teeth and on some tips of small saws. There are store bought dial gauges available for about $70 but some have reported that the distance from the feet to the indicator is too short. I think the distance is about 7/8".

Rather then feet like the spiders and the commercial dial gauges have I made the bottom flat. I think the flat base may be an advantage because it eliminates any effect due little bumps, dips, holes, gullets or pits and does not hurt if the back end extends over the edge of the saw.

This is the first one of these I made. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Here are a few pics and more are posted at:
http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/dialsetgauge

Jim

IMG_7124a.jpg

IMG_7135a.jpg

IMG_7128a.jpg
Jim_Thode

Re: Homemade Dial Set Gauge

Postby goodfeller » November 7th, 2012, 5:09 am

That is really slick, Jim. I am going to check out eBay this morning for a similar gauge. Thanks for sharing.
goodfeller

Postby PATCsawyer » November 7th, 2012, 12:49 pm

One simple bolt to hold it on, nice. One of those in my future.
PATCsawyer

Postby SalmonCreek » November 8th, 2012, 8:54 am

Good work Jim. I have a dial indicator I could use for something like this.

Out of curiosity, how does this one work on the short teeth at the very end of one man saws. None of my spider gauges work on those teeth.

Mike
SalmonCreek

Postby trolleypup » November 8th, 2012, 7:23 pm

SalmonCreek wrote:Good work Jim. I have a dial indicator I could use for something like this.

Out of curiosity, how does this one work on the short teeth at the very end of one man saws. None of my spider gauges work on those teeth.

If the overhang on the base is too much, a alternate base might be in order?
trolleypup

Postby Jim_Thode » November 8th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Mike,
Small saw tips are not a problem.

Here is the problem:
IMG_7126a.jpg

And the solution:
IMG_7127a.jpg

Another photo of a saw with really long teeth that a spider will not work on at:
http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/dialsetgauge
Probably would not want to move the indicator closer to the base because then the base would be way up the teeth on a saw with long teeth.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Jim_Thode » November 15th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Here is version #2. I used a section of angle iron for this one and made the base a little longer and narrower. Depending on how you hold the saw when setting teeth the shorter #1 version may be better. Either one works well and is much more accurate and faster to use then spiders.
Jim

IMG_7234a.jpg

IMG_7232a.jpg

IMG_7230a.jpg

IMG_7227a.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby SalmonCreek » November 15th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Nice work Jim. I just got some scrap aluminum stock to make one like your first version, but the dial gauge I was going to use has about a 1.5" throw on it. Think I will look for another gauge. Thanks for the photos.

Mike
SalmonCreek

Postby trailcrew » April 1st, 2013, 12:41 pm

Used this thread as inspiration to do some tinkering this weekend. Didn't have any scrap angle iron lying around, so gauges are made from cheap tools (~$12) purchased and repurposed. Gauges were from ebay (~$10 + shipping). For the gauges made from a speed square, I didn't need any tools fancier than a hack saw and drill and could make three gauges out of one square. For the gauges made out of square steel stock, I used a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder and then tapped the holes.
Josh
trailcrew

Return to Crosscut saws 101