Gibbs jointer

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

Gibbs jointer

Postby da yooper » October 23rd, 2012, 8:24 pm

Howdy. I'm looking for a Gibbs long jointer, and a Martin Winters style racker gauge. I don't have much money, but have a NOS 7' Simonds 513 royal chinook with matching royal handles. I also have a 503 royal chinook in great shape no handles and used. Please leave me a message if interested. I can send pictures via email or text, and I'll get some on here, as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for your consideration. Tom
da yooper

Re: Gibbs jointer

Postby goodfeller » October 24th, 2012, 8:05 am

I think I saw a Gibbs jointer earlier this week on eBay. Going for around $200, maybe more. They are always pricey. If you haven't checked it out already, you might want to take a look a Sumnergeo's posting a year or so ago of a long jointer he made using an old level. It's really cool.
goodfeller

Postby da yooper » October 24th, 2012, 10:49 am

Goodfeller, I'll check it out. I'm using a crosscut company long jointer right now, and its made so poorly that it drives me nuts to use it. Thanks for the heads up on the thread. Tom
da yooper

Postby trolleypup » October 24th, 2012, 3:28 pm

The Gibbs on eBay right now is up to $325...with four days to go...with box and instructions.

If you are looking for a Gibbs for a collection, you are going to want to pay the price, at least on eBay. If you are looking for a good jointer for actual use on saws, you can get excellent results with a NON-long jointer, especially if the saw has not been abusively filed in the past...and there are techniques you can use even if it has been!

There are perfectly good brand name combination tools (like the Simonds 342 (jointer, raker plate, pin gauge)) out there for under $50 on eBay, and if you skip the pin gauge, under $10.

Of course, if you put a nice 513 or 503 up on eBay, you will be able to afford the next Gibbs that comes up...just look at what others are getting for equivalent saws!
trolleypup

Postby da yooper » October 24th, 2012, 3:58 pm

In reality I'm set up to get a saw throwing noodles, ... But a true blue Gibbs on my bench would be pretty neat. I truly hit the jackpot with my Royal Chinooks, but only need 1 of each. I figured its probably a fair trade so I thought I'd put it out to you all before I try to sell them. If anyone is in the Portland area ie. 100 mile radius I'd be down for meeting up to. I also appreciate all the advice. Thanks all.
da yooper

Postby goodfeller » October 25th, 2012, 5:01 am

If anybody is looking for a jointer gauge, let me know. I have a pretty good stock of Morins, Atkins and Simonds. No 342, however. I got in the habit of picking them up online or at flea markets and such and suddenly have way more than I need. I was thinking of hanging some of them on the Xmas tree this year but for some reason my wife didn't warm to that idea. :(
goodfeller

Postby Jim_Thode » October 25th, 2012, 6:50 am

Tom,
I don't know how handy you are but there is likely enough detail for you to build a Martin Winters style raker gauge at:
http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/handmaderakergauge

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Thode on October 25th, 2012, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Thode

Postby da yooper » October 25th, 2012, 7:18 am

Jim. This is GREAT information! I can't thank you enough! Tom
da yooper

Postby SalmonCreek » October 25th, 2012, 7:29 am

The Axe Hole was selling an aluminum bodied version of the Gibbs Jointer. Around $200, maybe $250. I bought one, works fine. My only complaint, where the stubs on the side of the body rub against the saw, are wearing down faster than steel would.
SalmonCreek

Postby da yooper » October 25th, 2012, 7:58 am

That is the one question that I've wondered about with the Jastad long jointer. I can't say for sure, but it looks like Doc Jastad takes pride in his tool. The same can't be said for the Crosscut company's " long jointer". I enjoy the tools as much as the saws. I suppose that why I'm on the hunt. Thanks Tom
da yooper

Next

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted