Gibbs jointer

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

Re: Gibbs jointer

Postby trailcrew » October 25th, 2012, 8:06 am

I'm going to go with Trolleypup on this one. The price of saws on ebay has gone way up compared to what it was 5 years ago without a proportional jump in the price of filing tools. A nice but not NOS Simonds 520 just went for $285. I would imagine you could get at least that for a NOS Chinook. That'd about pay for the Gibbs on ebay right now.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby SalmonCreek » October 25th, 2012, 8:55 am

The Jastad long jointer is well made. Works as well as a Gibbs in my opinion. Lately I've just put a bit of duct tape on the side runners to keep them from wearing so fast.
SalmonCreek

Postby Double Ott » October 26th, 2012, 11:59 am

SalmonCreek wrote:The Jastad long jointer is well made. Works as well as a Gibbs in my opinion. Lately I've just put a bit of duct tape on the side runners to keep them from wearing so fast.

Have you ever considered drilling and tapping the side runners with a fine machine screw thread. Then using a stainless steel machine screw to deter the wearing of the jointer? The end of the screw would have to be smoothed and polished after it was threaded into the jointer.

A Set Hex Screw or a Hex Socket Cap Screw of the proper length might work well. Now finding them in SS might be an issue.

Just wondering, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Jim_Thode » October 26th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Tom,
Hard metal strips may work for wear resistance but individual bolt or screw heads would bump and catch on the sides of the teeth.
Jim

IMG_5072a2.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby da yooper » October 26th, 2012, 8:48 pm

It sure seems like the Gibbs is the way to go. I know they are rare and expensive. However the Jastad is $275 and needs modifications. I have already wasted $100 on the crosscut saw co. jointer. Selling the saws to raise the cash is the best bet. Great thread which really helped me make up my mind. Thanks Tom P.S. Jim nice looking jointer! Are you selling?
da yooper

Postby Jim_Thode » October 27th, 2012, 6:19 am

Tom,
No, not selling my Gibbs now.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Double Ott » October 27th, 2012, 8:24 am

Jim_Thode wrote:Tom,
Hard metal strips may work for wear resistance but individual bolt or screw heads would bump and catch on the sides of the teeth.
Jim

IMG_5072a2.jpg

Hi Jim, Thanks for the picture of the Gibbs. I guess I should have explained my self better. I had envisioned the screws just setting flush, maybe a little proud with the flats of the side runners, just enough to prevent excessive wear on them. They could be adjusted to ride/glide over the teeth.

Just thought it would be easier than attempting to add a piece of hard metal strips to them or using duct tape.

But again, I was just wondering, thank you again for your thoughts, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Jim_Thode » October 27th, 2012, 9:32 am

I bet a couple sections of hacksaw or band saw blade with the teeth ground off epoxied to the aluminum would work well as runners. The added thickness of the blades should have no effect on the operation of the jointer and would surely work better then bare aluminum or duct tape.

It would of look like the strip that were riveted on this home make raker gauge.

144912471.JV2a8xNS.IMG_5239a.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby PATCsawyer » October 27th, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm with you on the quality of the CC Saw Co. tools, but I have one of their Gibbs knock-offs and it works pretty well after I used a file to true up the spots where the shoes attach to the frame. Out of the box the shoes were crooked, probably from poor metal casting. But hey, it was only 99.00 when I bought it.
PATCsawyer

Postby SalmonCreek » October 27th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Double Ott, but I think Jim is on to something. Thin metal epoxied should do the trick. Thanks!
SalmonCreek

PreviousNext

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted