Atkins Great American Saw

Topic should be types of Atkins saws, and posts are related to those saws
PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 698
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Re: Atkins Great American Saw

Post by PATCsawyer » July 15th, 2016, 8:34 am

The saw had a variety of filings over its lifetime and needed a lot of work. I wasn't sure about putting a double bevel on the outside cutters like the lumberman's handbook showed, and as it wasn't my saw, I decided not to experiment. I filed a couple teeth like the Handbook's drawing but went with the original profile for the others. I filed the center cutters like the Handbook's picture and then set them the same 0.010". I think the important thing is to keep the gullet side as straight as possible and not curve it over. When working up to the point, it's easy to overfile that tip. John Starling 's pics of his racing saws show the gullet side bevel being filed with a negative slope such that the cutter point overhangs the base of the tooth.
P1014215.jpg
P1014214.jpg

dayle1960
PostsCOLON 126
JoinedCOLON July 31st, 2014, 11:33 am
LocationCOLON Bella Vista Arkansas

Post by dayle1960 » July 15th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Which files did you use? Did you start with a big 'ole 12" flat file then progressively step down to finer files? What did you use for your finishing file? A regular file or a diamond hone?

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 698
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » July 15th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I used several 10" crosscut saw files. As a finish I used a strip of 1000grit autobody sandpaper glued to a paint stirrer and stropped that last little bit of edge to a fine dot. That last step doesn't take very long.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY