Anderson #5A Saw Set

Listings of the tools used to sharpen, or file crosscut saws
trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Anderson #5A Saw Set

Post by trailcrew » May 11th, 2013, 9:20 am

I think this one has some replaced parts, but fairly faithful to the original. This is the 5A set, the standard 5 had an extra piece of spring steel to hold the saw tooth against the plunger.

Josh

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Re: Anderson #5A Saw Set

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » May 11th, 2013, 9:35 am

I have never used that type of saw set. Does it produce consistent set? Are you able to adjust them for different amounts of set? I guess I have never seen them in action or read about them enough to get the full scope of what they do.

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370

Post by trailcrew » May 11th, 2013, 5:49 pm

The set is pretty adjustable. By turning a screw located below the striker/punch/thingamajig it changes the angle of the strike. If you moved the tooth clear to the anvil, that screw would adjust the amount of set given. The lever above the anvil governs how high or low the strike hits the tooth.

The thing certainly has potential, but in my first few fumbling attempts to use it I haven't gotten great results. Maybe some hints from someone who has used one a lot....
Josh

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370

Post by trailcrew » May 12th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Used it today on a fairly soft Champion brand saw (a Toledo manufacturer). The Anderson worked well with a lighter wide-faced hammer like the old riveting hammers, ~8 oz. or so. I also tried to set with a 16 oz. hammer and a 32 oz. hammer. The smallest hammer worked best.

I'll be working on a Simonds next weekend, I'll let you know how it works on a harder saw.
Josh

rabotts
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON May 1st, 2012, 10:40 pm

Post by rabotts » May 13th, 2013, 6:08 pm

I have had a lot of luck with the Anderson #5. It is much more user friendly than any of the Morin hammer sets. I have difficulty hitting the tooth precisely with a set hammer and anvil and this tool makes the task a lot easier.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY