Best new felling axe? ...splitting maul?

The sawyer's companion
Ernest Becker
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON August 25th, 2011, 4:48 am

Best new felling axe? ...splitting maul?

Post by Ernest Becker » August 28th, 2011, 5:45 pm

What do you think is the best axe commercially produced today? ...in a single bit? ...in a double bit?
Why is it the best?
Weight and handle length?

Also, what about splitting mauls? ...axe eye vs sledge eye?

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 304
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Re: Best new felling axe? ...splitting maul?

Post by sumnergeo » August 28th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Check out this blog: Axe Connected. It certainly opened my eyes.
http://axeconnected.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -2-of.html

Aguineapig
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON February 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Post by Aguineapig » August 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I only use vintage axes really. If I had to purchase a production axe, it would probably be a council tool due to pricing. I like to use a 3 to 3 1/4 pound axe on a 30" for heavy work, and a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 on a 28" handle for a saw assistant.

Ernest Becker
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON August 25th, 2011, 4:48 am

Post by Ernest Becker » August 31st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Sumnergeo and Aguineapig,

Once again thank you for your help.

I was pleasantly surprised by the axe link (axeconnected) you sent since I am a fan of Peter Vido already (Vido is the scythe king of North America).

I've read that Snow and Nealley axes aren't quite as well built as the Council axes.

Thanks again.

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Post by trailcrew » September 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm

I have a Snow and Nealley pulaski and their hudson bay axe, both made in the last decade or so. Over the years I've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of them. Though the metal is pretty soft and the handling jobs on both were pretty mediocre they've both always done what I've asked them to do. I've also got a Gransfors American felling axe I've been using on logging runs all summer. The size and quality are excellent with an admittedly chunky handle, but it's straight grained hickory and a good hanging job. I've done quite a bit of chopping with it and it'd do well as part of your chainsaw or crosscut setup. On the other hand, they're also about the most expensive axes on the market. You could probably buy 10 vintage heads on ebay for the same amount of money and get them all to a point where they could out-chop the Gransfors. My favorite user is an old Warren single-bit, ~3.5 lb head, geometry just like the guy on the website describes.
Josh

BUTTON_POST_REPLY