Lakeside 4-ft D-handle

Ohlen-Bishop, Dunham, Carrigan & Hayden, and saws with department and hardware store markings like Montgomery Ward.
sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 304
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Lakeside 4-ft D-handle

Post by sumnergeo » December 22nd, 2011, 5:57 pm

IMG_0159.JPG
four-feet long
Here is a Lakeside D-handle Champion tooth in perfect shape. This hasn't been touched since it came from the factory. I say that because it has a nearly uniform set but the teeth and rakers have never been jointed and properly filed. This would be a tough saw to saw with as it is.

I assume that Disston made this as a secondary line and sold through Montgomery Ward. The fellow who owns it plans to sell it but has no idea what it might be worth. Photos attached.
Attachments
IMG_0158.JPG
Etching
IMG_0161.JPG
original box
Last edited by 1 on sumnergeo, edited 0 times in total.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
JoinedCOLON November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 am
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Re: Lakeside 4-ft D-handle

Post by Treeline » December 23rd, 2011, 8:05 am

That's a beauty!

Do you have specific info that it was Disston that made the Montgomery Wards saws? I've sharpened and used a few of them they are actually pretty nice blades.

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 304

Post by sumnergeo » December 23rd, 2011, 11:18 am

I assumed Disston but after noodling a bit on the internet it seems that Atkins made the saws for Montgomery Ward with the Lakeside etch.

It is in nice shape and the steel looks as good or better than what I've seen on Pennsylvania Saw Corp. (Disston) saws.

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » December 23rd, 2011, 11:19 am

Nice saw, I really like the original packaging! Does that say 84-7050? I have a Lakeside 6' Lance tooth saw that I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57 and another marked with an 84 series number that is 6' perforated lance with blanks on the ends. I wonder what the significance of the 84 is? I'm looking forward to filing them and trying them out. The lance tooth is just as you describe yours, factory set but not well enough to cut.

If anybody knows more about this Montgomery Ward Lakeside line, let us know!

rjdankert
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON February 12th, 2012, 7:39 am
LocationCOLON S. W. Michigan

Post by rjdankert » May 12th, 2012, 10:01 am

Crosscut Sawyer wroteCOLON If anybody knows more about this Montgomery Ward Lakeside line, let us know!
I have no information on this saw. I have been trying to track down this 14 inch backsaw:

So far no luck. However, if anyone is interested about Lakeside & M W in general, this is a pretty interesting thread:

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php? ... =1#message

azmica saws
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON February 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Post by azmica saws » May 12th, 2012, 12:01 pm

first - the disclaimer: i am always wrong

i cannot say with any certainty who made the crosscut saws with the lakeside branding, but am fairly certain that lakeside was not the maufactory. i have a number of the lakeside handsaws and they are all fine saws. all appear identical to the geo h. bishop saws - which i have a vast collection of for comparison .... so i am also fairly certain that these were made by bishop. now .... bishop was bought out by james ohlen in 1919 .... the operations were merged and beginning about 1920 products were branded with the ohlen-bishop trademark. if this also holds true for the crosscut saws, think it a very good possibility that your saw was made in columbus, ohio.
just a note: all of the ohlen bishop crosscut saws that i have worked on have impressed .... in both their design and quality. a little over a year ago - someone must have uncovered a big stash of new old stock ohlen-bishops 7ft champion tooth - because i received few of these for service. (i remember that they all had a "nra" etch) funny here .... i was unaware they were covered in cosmoline until i un-boxed them. as a result, i no longer accept cosmoline saws for service ... clean that stuff off before sending them.
geeze.
michael

trolleypup
PostsCOLON 231
JoinedCOLON March 18th, 2012, 10:11 pm
LocationCOLON San Francisco, CA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by trolleypup » May 13th, 2012, 9:01 am

Crosscut Sawyer wroteCOLONI really like the original packaging! Does that say 84-7050? I have a Lakeside 6' Lance tooth saw that I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57 and another marked with an 84 series number that is 6' perforated lance with blanks on the ends. I wonder what the significance of the 84 is?
84-705x was the catalog number for crosscut saws in the MW catalog. 84 being the tools department.

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » May 14th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Wow, great answer. thanks

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 304

Post by sumnergeo » February 26th, 2013, 12:07 pm

eBay has a four-foot Lakeside Montgomery Ward for auction. It differs from mine. It is a 84-215 while mine is a 84-7050. It has seven toe and five heel teeth while mine has four toe teeth only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-4-Montg ... d=ViewItem

Comments on the thread in the comment by rjdankert says they are not collectible so this could be a good saw to pick up.

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » February 27th, 2013, 7:43 am

Yeah, I have that saw on my watch list. It is being offered by our old friend in Hillsboro who I have communicated with in the past. I sold a James Ohlen 42" D-handle a while back that I restored. Nice saw; did not look anything like this Lakeside, however. My hunch is that Monkey Ward used a variety of manufacturers over the years. That etching is really neat.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY