New Type of Saw

Intro to the site and how to get your account activated
PseudoMathematician
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON March 12th, 2021, 4:04 am

New Type of Saw

Post by PseudoMathematician » March 14th, 2021, 11:16 pm

Hello, my name is Nathan. I made this saw/axe/machete, I’ve been calling it a Sam Saw; It is .4 inches thick, the fleam starts at approximately 10 degrees and ends at about 45 degrees, and the ‘Point per inch’ is about five to about three. What do you think?

It has the bevel and weight of an axe but the cutting edge is long and the head is narrow.
It has the edge of a machete but the blade is thick and heavy
It’s not an axe/hatchet or a machete, but it has to be something.
Attachments
20CD7EE0-9348-485B-A959-7E9E040FCA9E.jpeg
This is a Picture
1CE08A39-DCC8-4161-86FA-23A01E5B1628.jpeg
This is a Picture
16076102-E48D-41A6-994F-BFB970D7AE43.gif
This is a Gif
FullSizeRender.mov
This is a Video
(12.33 MiB) Downloaded 54 times

frizzen
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON February 17th, 2021, 11:15 am
LocationCOLON Indiana

Re: New Type of Saw

Post by frizzen » March 20th, 2021, 8:16 am

Interesting survival knife. Most of that style i'd seen have more of a tanto blade

Why did you change the saw tooth spacing?
Let's go cut some happy little trees over here. Then we'll plant two, because everybody needs a friend.

PseudoMathematician
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON March 12th, 2021, 4:04 am

Post by PseudoMathematician » March 20th, 2021, 1:53 pm

frizzen wroteCOLON
March 20th, 2021, 8:16 am
Interesting survival knife. Most of that style i'd seen have more of a tanto blade

Why did you change the saw tooth spacing?
“Interesting survival knife.” Well said. I’ve been trying to classify this tool, thank you.

I don’t know what a tanto blade is, but the scrap metal decided the shape of the knife.

“Why did [ I ] change the saw tooth spacing?” I had no plan of attack, I just stopped filing when the teeth seemed ‘ready’. Half way through I decided I should make the teeth as large as possible. It just worked itself out.

frizzen
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON February 17th, 2021, 11:15 am
LocationCOLON Indiana

Post by frizzen » March 22nd, 2021, 8:03 am

It looked similar to some of the Survival / Rescue Knifes i've seen around. Usually they talk about it being multi-tool knife, saw, prybar, extra cordage...
https://coolhandgear.com/catalog/produc ... val-knife/
http://weaponcollector.blogspot.com/201 ... l.html?m=1

A 'Tanto' point is a japanese style, refering to the blade having a mostly straight long sharp edge, then another straight sharp edge connecting to the straight spine. Like a Katana sword.

Looks pretty cool man.
Let's go cut some happy little trees over here. Then we'll plant two, because everybody needs a friend.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY