saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26 2014

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!
Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
JoinedCOLON October 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Re: saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26

Post by Sawman » August 9th, 2014, 1:25 am

Well I have already thought and bought some old saws for the skill share w/e. A 4 foot great American.D handle. Has some broken teeth, has been very poorly filed will take some time to get sorted.
The second saw is also a 4 footer d handle Campion tooth with badly worn rakers, so that will be a bit of a challenge. Make unknown doesn't feel like a good quality saw, so we will see with that one.
20140803_184706.jpg
Third star of the show 5 foot buucking saw , perforated lance tooth. What attracted me to this one was its 10 starter teeth on both sides. Which seems a lot and which I haven't seen before. Also it appeared to only have light rusting. So when I got it to my surprise it was a Sheffield made U.k.saw. by Slack and Sellers of Sheffield. Perforated lance tooth with rakers in almost in mint condition bar the light rusting. Cleaned and oiled ready to go. Also there maybe a chance of a 5 foot felling saw. But we will see
20140803_184706.jpg
. The other saw I will be taking is a large 5 foot Spear and Jackson.
20140505_132516.jpg
Almost the same as the Slack and Sellers. Mint condition. Both of the U.k saws I would say are very rare here but for them to be in such good condition, well.
Now here is the big question. Rakers who invented them. The Slack and Sellers I would say is around 1850's Spear and Jackson 1900's. Are these American copies or were the rakers a British invention or from some other country.??? So all and others will be off to Scotland in October if they let me in as Scotland may be independent by then. Good job I am from a strong Scottish line, don't want any hold up at the border.
Attachments
20140707_124232.jpg
20140707_201735.jpg

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » August 25th, 2014, 12:01 pm

3 New saws for Scotland. I picked up these 3 for the skill share in October.
L1020221.JPG
The top one I thought was a Disston but no its Warfson or something from Sheffield
L1020225.JPG
Also with its handles, it had America written all over it.
L1020224.JPG
The setting on the saw is in inches, the bloke I got it from said he used a hammer and punch to bend the teeth and yes you can tell.
The D handle has an interesting stop notch on the end of the blade to stop over cut, which I have never seen on saw before.
L1020222.JPG
The 2 man felling saw has a lot of tin worm in it so it will take a lot of time to get sorted but should make a good saw. Both of them are Spear and Jackson. Nothing to say so but the handles look like them and also the rakers are just like the its big brother. So I think one thing I would like to disscus at the skill share is how much was Sheffield involved in the development of the crosscut saw as the ones I have got are all of a very high quietly. I think its time to look at our own heritage. Which could be a interesting for this web site. Regards to you all Sawman.

brianthehurdler
PostsCOLON 100
JoinedCOLON November 16th, 2012, 11:24 am
LocationCOLON Gloucestershire, UK.
CONTACTCOLON

Post by brianthehurdler » August 28th, 2014, 8:03 am

With reference to the making of filing vices at this event - unless we're actually badly short of numbers of these, I'd rather we didn't spend time making them. If you can't make your own vice then I doubt that you'll learn to sharpen saws. By all means lets use the occasion to see how others have put their vices together - and to try out various vices - and take ideas/photos/measurements away with us, but we should be concentrating on the saws.

There's a lot to be covered in simply filing angles, setting teeth and swaging rakers. And, of course, we'll want to do comparisons of different saws cutting through timber - and then probably we'll want to go and refile some angles!

Brian.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 656
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » August 29th, 2014, 3:06 pm

brianthehurdler wroteCOLONWith reference to the making of filing vices at this event - unless we're actually badly short of numbers of these, I'd rather we didn't spend time making them. If you can't make your own vice then I doubt that you'll learn to sharpen saws. By all means lets use the occasion to see how others have put their vices together - and to try out various vices - and take ideas/photos/measurements away with us, but we should be concentrating on the saws.

There's a lot to be covered in simply filing angles, setting teeth and swaging rakers. And, of course, we'll want to do comparisons of different saws cutting through timber - and then probably we'll want to go and refile some angles!

Brian.
Agreed that there's no need to make more vises unless needed. I have one vise only at present but do have materials for plenty others. If folk were bringing their own vise of course they can file immediately. Hence my suggestion that Friday (morning?) be vise-making for those that need one, and the Sat and Sunday for filing. So those joining us for weekend only will go straight to filing. Of course if you come Friday with a vise and want to file immediately - that's good too. As I have pillar drill we can get those holes perfectly at right angles. :D

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » August 29th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Will you be filing inside or outside?

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » August 29th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I prefer outside,you can not beat natural light. However Scotland being Scotland it will be all the four season's per hour.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 656
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » August 30th, 2014, 4:19 am

PATCsawyer wroteCOLONWill you be filing inside or outside?
Probably inside filing given temperature, light levels and possible rain. But outside is well possible. I suggest folks bring some light on a stand or clip

AND a cable reel as I have only one reel

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686

Post by PATCsawyer » August 30th, 2014, 5:08 am

When I took Dolly's class, I was in a pavilion -- outside, but without direct lighting -- I mounted an inexpensive LED headlamp to a camera tripod and placed it over my vice. Worked pretty well, didn't require a wire, and wasn't hot like a bulb.
IMG_9805.JPG

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » August 30th, 2014, 6:14 am

Thanks for that Pat. Led lights are just great. I have just bought 10 minuets ago a almost identical saw that you are working on at Dollys. Rusty yes but we can see what we can do with it on the day. Kind regards Duncan (Sawman)

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686

Post by PATCsawyer » August 30th, 2014, 6:45 am

Nice thing about Dolly's class, we got to test our saws when done. Make sure you have a sawbuck and a few choice logs at hand when it comes time for the cuts.
IMG_5242e.jpg

BUTTON_POST_REPLY