saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26 2014

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!
Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

Re: saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26

Post by Gavin Longrain » August 30th, 2014, 12:20 pm

woo hoo! Excitement builds - not least cos I have not organised this before and it will be a great learning experience. There is no lack of logs hereabouts in this, the most forested part of the UK. We just may even get to a spot of felling... ? I'll work on felling possibilities in conversation with local tree-owners. On my to-do list is making a new sawbuck or two before the event.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » August 30th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Should a bevel protractor be a strongly recommended piece of kit at this skill share? Whilst I find mine invaluable, I have not filed many saws and am anxious to be informed by others experience.

brianthehurdler
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON November 16th, 2012, 11:24 am
LocationCOLON Gloucestershire, UK.
CONTACTCOLON

Post by brianthehurdler » August 30th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Access to logs is going to be key - you can do all the sharpening that you like, but if you don't know how your saw cuts you won't know how effective it has been.

I shouldn't worry too much about standing trees, Gavin (fun though some felling might be), what we'll need is lots of logs and a good saw-horse. We'll want to test individual saws and we'll want to be able to compare one set of teeth with another, so lots of logs (and potential firewood for you) on site. It would be good if we could have at least two different types of log as well, so that we can test in hard wood and soft wood. For hard wood I'd suggest ash, beech, holly, yew. For softwoods, most of the conifers, birch, willow, oak. We might argue over oak; I do think of green oak as a fairly soft wood. What do you have readilly available (and of a size that can be moved around)?

Brian.

Sawman
PostsCOLON 173
JoinedCOLON October 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » August 31st, 2014, 6:26 am

Hi Gavin and Brian, Just been to a car boot, small hand saw with m teeth and tenon also with a very precise protractor
L1020229.JPG
L1020230.JPG
Also I could bring up my saw horse will take almost any size of wood and also weight.
L1020226.JPG
I strap the logs down to stop them spinning,
L1020227.JPG
it also allows me to make as many cuts as I like without moving the log forward.
L1020228.JPG
4 or 5 3/4 depth cuts and a few strokes with my favourite saw and it all falls apart. You just only have to strap the log down once.
Also Brain you seem to have access to a Spear and Jackson catalogue is there any way you could get that up loaded to this web site this would be a great help and also it would expand our knowledge. Regards Duncan.

brianthehurdler
PostsCOLON 97
CONTACTCOLON

Post by brianthehurdler » September 1st, 2014, 12:26 am

Gavin - here's a suggestion for how we might start off the weekend.

After we've got the necessary vices together (hopefully on the Friday), I think that one of the important things to move on to would be some comparative saw testing. We'll want something to measure our progress by, so, if we 'test-drive' a few of the better saws early on, we'll have a reference point to see how other saws cut as we sharpen them (whether from scratch or with revised filing angles). It might also be a good idea to keep perhaps two of the best performing early saws back from further sharpening. That way we can use them as a reference point for more comparative testing later on.

Another thought - if we can get hold of a video camera between us, could we shoot some footage of sawing actions? Perhaps if we had a little LED at each end of a saw blade we could get a really good picture of our cutting action(s).

Sawman - I think that the little protractor that you show (above) may be a bubble level without the bubble! It may well still have uses as a protractor, but I'm not sure that it would transfer easily to a saw blade. Worth trying. though.

The little saw that you show is not uncommon. Someone may correct me, but I think that it is an attempt to get two tools out of one ( probably a dry wood crosscut and a, coarser, green wood saw). As such it probably performs neither job particularly well, but it would be a nice little sharpening exercise.

And I think that the saw-horse that you show will be too lightweight for most of our needs. Two-man saws need quite a weight in the horse and also more spread in the legs if they are to remain stable (I think that there is a thread somewhere here on saw/bucking horses). Your's will probably work as a one-man horse because you can put a hand (and even a foot) on it to steady it.

Brian.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » September 1st, 2014, 11:45 am

brianthehurdler wroteCOLONAccess to logs is going to be key - you can do all the sharpening that you like, but if you don't know how your saw cuts you won't know how effective it has been.
It would be good if we could have at least two different types of log as well, so that we can test in hard wood and soft wood. For hard wood I'd suggest ash, beech, holly, yew. For softwoods, most of the conifers, birch, willow, oak. We might argue over oak; I do think of green oak as a fairly soft wood. What do you have readilly available (and of a size that can be moved around)?

Brian.
How many tonnes or meters do we need?
I can get plenty enough delivered and probly have room in the yard for at least 3 tonnes. What max diameter - 40 cm? I have no need of more firewood. So we'll just sell all we cut. I rather think we'll sell to passers-by walking past here.

I'm sure I can get ash, beech . Holly, yew: what min diameter? They don't come in big diameters here as far as I know. Also, do you want elm? sycamore? I do have about 5 meters of dry-ish ash at approx 20 cm diameter.
brianthehurdler wroteCOLON For softwoods, most of the conifers, birch, willow, oak. We might argue over oak; I do think of green oak as a fairly soft wood.
Brian.
What min diameter?

Also: have you some method of marking end-grain timber with crayon or similar so we can note the saw and the time taken?

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » September 1st, 2014, 11:55 am

Brian,
I like your suggestions above for how we might start off.

I have a video camera. But even better, I have someone who knows how to use his I'll see if I can get him to come for several hours. I don't have LED lights - have you a suggestion for same? And a way to fix them to blades?

I will be making a new saw buck soon, but if anyone wants to make and bring one as well, here are very useful imagesof a folding model. As Brian says, it needs a lot of spread in the legs for stability.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » September 1st, 2014, 11:57 am

Sawman,
I'd spend the fiver and get the Wynn's protractor. They are good IMO. Your car boot one you will struggle with.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 653
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » September 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm

Can someone bring along some junker raker-toothed saws for practise? I gave mine away in a fit of tidying up the shed. :o

brianthehurdler
PostsCOLON 97
CONTACTCOLON

Post by brianthehurdler » September 1st, 2014, 9:59 pm

How much and what diameter? How long is a piece of string?

I would suggest a mix of no more than three species, otherwise making comparisons will become rather confused. Even two might be enough. You'll have to make your own mind up about what you get; you'll be the one who has to use/get rid of it after all! Birch and ash would be a good pairing.

As to the diameter, ease of handling would be a big consideration, so around 10" - 15" would be good. Any bigger we probably couldn't lift safely.

How many? Do you want firewood or saw dust at the end of it? We'd only need to get part way through a log to know how well the saw was cutting, so i would guess that I'd be happy to have been on the end of a dozen completed cuts over the weekend. So six cuts worth per person?

Brian.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY