saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26 2014

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!
Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
JoinedCOLON October 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Re: saw filing maintenance skill share, Scotland, Oct 25-26

Post by Sawman » September 2nd, 2014, 12:31 pm

Hi Gavin and Brain, The horse is set for my height so at 6' 5" it has to be set very high. To lower it all I need is to adjust the cord at the bottom and it can be any height you want. It is just lug able and I take into the woods to saw trees up on site. It has in the past taken some very large trunks in its time. Also fine for 2 bucking if we do get movement,I just place a heavy log across the bottom. As to the saws when I start sawing I will take 3 saws with me. All with different teeth patterns. Which ever saw runs the best on the day I will use. You can have a newly sharpened and set saw come to a grinding holt for some reason,(on different wood no problem) when the saw I have been using for weeks glides through. So I think on the w/e we should try as many saws as possible and grade them say 1 to 10. If I might recommend a start time on Friday when we can all meet up have a cuppa and get to know one another, rather than getting in later and missing stuff. Regards Duncan

brianthehurdler
PostsCOLON 100
JoinedCOLON November 16th, 2012, 11:24 am
LocationCOLON Gloucestershire, UK.
CONTACTCOLON

Post by brianthehurdler » September 2nd, 2014, 9:41 pm

Gavin Longrain wroteCOLON
I have a video camera. But even better, I have someone who knows how to use his I'll see if I can get him to come for several hours. I don't have LED lights - have you a suggestion for same? And a way to fix them to blades?
Magnetic LEDs are widely available for a couple of quid online, and if the magnet won't hold them i'm sure that a bit of impact adhesive would. If you can sort the video side I'll see what I can do about lights.

Brian.

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » September 12th, 2014, 1:11 pm

The last 2 saws are now in.
L1020233.JPG
A Disston K 5 foot Champion toothed bucking saw.
L1020240.JPG
Very rusty but coming up fine.
Almost the same as the one that Pat and Dolly were using on a previous photo. (you can just see the smoke coming off the wood)
L1020237.JPG
Then a 6 foot 6 felling saw with M teeth.
L1020250.JPG
Made in Sheffield make unknown as yet.
L1020242.JPG
(a bit of a beast this one) Has been butchered in the past so will take a little time to sort out. They have taken far to much off the side walls of the tooth (for some reason) and now has poorly shaped gullets and a step cut into tooth.So both also are off to the skill share which isn't long now. Roll on October. Regards to all Sawman.

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » October 5th, 2014, 11:24 am

The Dolly Vise was made today and will have its curved cut done in Scotland for the weekend course.
L1020260.JPG
And a big thank you to Dolly for the plans and requirements to make her vise.
L1020262.JPG

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 656
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » October 6th, 2014, 12:03 am

I made mine the same, and later modified it. I found I benefitted from:-
  • 1. rounding the tops of each leg so the saw can pass the top of the leg, or setting the jaws a little higher to allow the same easy passage of saw over the leg.
    2. fitting chain between the legs. This allows fine adjustment of the height and prevents the legs spontaneously opening :shock:
My eye-bolts are all in one line. What is reason for having yours laid out as they are?

Sawman
PostsCOLON 174
LocationCOLON York. U.K

Post by Sawman » October 7th, 2014, 10:49 am

Hi Gavin, the photo was just a quick snap at the end of the day and is in no way finished. Iam very pleased you said band saw, my little jig saw I know is not up to the job. I thought about putting cord at the bottom of the legs as I have done with my saw horse. Like old step ladders. I think I will go for loose bolts. Set it all up get alinement of the legs at the correct height and then insert extra bolt. As to the eye bolts. The wood is 9 inches and not 10inch as advised by Dolly. It was the only wood the saw mill had and time was pressing. I got the 2 best bits, but was concerned that the lower bolt when tightened it would open the "jaws" of the vise as the bolts are lower than I would like them. Also all my saws bar 2 are 5 feet and smaller so the will still fit. The 3rd reason is that I have tried to get the holding bolts along the axis of the 2 big planks. As there is a lot of weight and potential energy locked up there. If the bolts are set to low the weight is at the top and could rotate at speed, ever towards or away from the filer and with a saw in place. Not to good. If they are set to high the weight is at the bottom of the planks and it becomes harder to rotate and also flick back to the upright. So if the bolts are on the axis it should stay were it is put and only rotate with ease. Having said all that this is a very simple and effective vise and can be easily taken apart and transported. Also to make one is easy and well within most peoples capabilities. Many thanks again to Dolly for the design and any vise of her design made here in the U.K. will be known as the Dolly Vise. Regards Duncan.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY