Help with this Disston one-man

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.
whirlibird
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON October 6th, 2016, 8:10 pm
LocationCOLON N Idaho

Help with this Disston one-man

Post by whirlibird » August 14th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Been a while since I have posted. I recently obtained a couple saws, one of which is a 5 foot Disston one-man with a western style handle. There are holes for what I guess would match a D handle. Unfortunately the previous owner had begun cleaning up in a circular pattern with steel wool. Either that action or something else has obscured or removed a portion of the etching. I have included a picture of the etch (pardon the light glare). What I can make out so far is:
Henry Disston & Son or Sons
The Disston symbol in the upper middle
Philadelphia USA curved along the bottom
%something% Steel Warranted straight across in the middle
Extra Thin Back
"Patent Ground" below the thin etch

There are 15 cutting teeth at the end to begin cuts. Curved end as the end of the cutter pattern on the handle end. It is either a lance tooth or fairly worn perforated lance tooth as no evidence of a perforation is there now. I looked through the Disston catalog forum but did not see a saw like this one nor etching pattern similar. I did see Jim post that the Disston saws didn't always have the same number of starter teeth depending on the length.

If someone has suggestions on taking pictures without having the light glare and still see the etching, I would be more than happy to take some better pictures. Also if there is a way to bring out the original etch so it is more clearly visible that would be interesting too.
Thank you, Brian

*Edit* It has a straight back.
Attachments
IMG_20190814_145726.jpg
Disston one-man partial etch

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Re: Help with this Disston one-man

Post by PATCsawyer » August 15th, 2019, 3:52 am

Kind of a tight zoom, what does the rest of the saw look like? Take your pics outside in natural light.

whirlibird
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON N Idaho

Post by whirlibird » August 15th, 2019, 11:16 am

Thank you for the suggestion on taking the pictures outside. Hopefully I can do so this evening. The pic I posted was pretty large file, so tried to crop it down to a manageable size to not time-out during the upload.

whirlibird
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON N Idaho

Post by whirlibird » August 16th, 2019, 4:37 am

:oops: Well I have to admit, I had a couple of things in my original post that were not correct. As I took pictures last night, I discovered a couple of things. First, the saw is 4-1/2 feet in length along the straight back, not 5 feet. The number of cutting teeth at the end is 17 before the first raker. I did discover it likely had been a perforated lance tooth at some time, but is worn enough that the bridges have been a bit unevenly filed away. The center is worn enough so the teeth are short and no evidence of the bridge is visible. On the ends a few teeth still show a little of the original metal.

The width at the handle end is 7-3/8" (if the profile past the last cutters is original) and the tip is currently 2-1/4". Here are a couple of pictures. I have a number more that I can post if it would help, particularly of the etch.
Disston one-man-01 20190815.jpg
Overall from handle
Disston one-man-length 20190815.jpg
Length at tip
Disston one-man-03 etch 20190815 cropped.jpg
Etch from one angle

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686

Post by PATCsawyer » August 17th, 2019, 3:37 am

That's a big one-man. I can't help you with the lineage beyond what you've already discovered.

sandersdwa
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON January 11th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Post by sandersdwa » August 19th, 2019, 6:13 am

My guess would be a Disston No 2 as seen in the clip shot from the 1911 catalog. Note the etch matches from what I can tell with your picture.
The catalog graphic does not show a model number (or name) in the etch. Most of the Disston etches have the name or model number directly under the icon but your etch does not - just like the graphic in the catalog. Might be they did not place the model number/name on them back then?
Disston No 2 1911 catalog.png.jpg

whirlibird
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON N Idaho

Post by whirlibird » August 20th, 2019, 12:07 pm

sandersdwa wroteCOLON
August 19th, 2019, 6:13 am
My guess would be a Disston No 2 as seen in the clip shot from the 1911 catalog. Note the etch matches from what I can tell with your picture.
The catalog graphic does not show a model number (or name) in the etch. Most of the Disston etches have the name or model number directly under the icon but your etch does not - just like the graphic in the catalog. Might be they did not place the model number/name on them back then?Disston No 2 1911 catalog.png.jpg
That certainly does look like a possible match. I did a bit more cleanup with some pumice rock but don't recall seeing anything above the Disston or below the Philadelphia parts of the etch. But now that I see there might be something near there I will examine more closely.

Where did you find the 1911 catalog? Did I miss it on the forum?

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686

Post by PATCsawyer » August 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Your etch clearly shows "PATENT GROUND", just like the one in Sandersdwa's post.

whirlibird
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON N Idaho

Post by whirlibird » August 20th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Yes, the PATENT GROUND is very visible. :) From my further cleaning with pumice stone, I can see more of the etch more distinctly, although most is still a bit light. Tonight I do see a faint marking above that "might" be EXTRA, but can't read all of it. I don't see any etch below PENNSYLVANIA. It is probably close enough to the cutting edge that the etch has long been rubbed away. I am to the point I better not clean further or I risk removing the etch.

sandersdwa, thank you for finding the catalog and picture. Very much appreciated. I am interested in knowing what the etch on top is, if readable in the catalog, and where to find the 1911 catalog. It is neat to have a good idea the saw year and model. For the age, it is in pretty good shape, IMHO. :D

sandersdwa
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON January 11th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Post by sandersdwa » August 25th, 2019, 10:17 am

I purchased the 1911 catalog and scanned that page for you. I see there are now folks advertising to sell electronic copies of that catalog for $15.
I have collected catalogs to help me identify saw make and model and maybe determine age. Some of the age can be determined by the etch style as seen in the catalogs.

Hope I helped.
Don

BUTTON_POST_REPLY